The beginning - what is a Code Audit?
According to Wikipedia “A software code audit is a comprehensive analysis of source code in a programming project with the intent of discovering bugs, security breaches or violations of programming conventions. It is an integral part of the defensive programming paradigm, which attempts to reduce errors before the software is released.”
Code Audit provides feedback on code quality of the code and highlights errors. It helps a lot when developing software.
The situation - when is a good time to review the code?
A couple of months ago we were asked to review the code of one of our clients. We were surprised how poor the code quality was. We started offering this service to other clients. This was an interesting experiment with intriguing findings.
What we discovered
- most people never give the code to two different developers and don’t validate the quality
- they check code when there is a serious issue e.g. performance issues and when they start losing users because of bad performance (sometimes it’s just too late)
- if they are non-technical they only see the working product, so they don’t see any need for code review
- in many cases the code is a “spaghetti code” - a mixture of different developers’ know-how; and it’s hard to build something on the top of that. Moreover, the code doesn’t have unit tests”; and in our opinion “unit tests” are crucial!
What is the challenge?
- people have already paid for developers, so they don’t want to build things from scratch again (even if they know it’s the only reasonable solution in the long term)
- non-technical people struggle with finding technical people they can trust and honestly discuss their worries
- the software kind of works, so it’s better to keep it that way.
When you should consider a Code Audit?
- If you are in the middle of software development and you want to check your developers (the quality of the code)
- If you want to change developer and pass the code to the new team
- If you see some issues with your app such as performance - you can find some places where the code can be optimized
We will help you and send you a report with suggested solutions - See EXAMPLE of the basic code audit.
Let us know on firstname.lastname@example.org and we will run the code audit for you!